Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Buffalo 5K

When I first started this running thing, my only goal was to finish a 5K. I didn't really care about my time, but I figured whatever it was it would be my benchmark, my starting point. After all, I could only improve from there. So I finished my first 5K in January around 36 minutes and set 2 new goals. The first being to be able to run the entire thing, and the second was to run it under 30 minutes.

I reached my first goal back in May, and then was able to run the entire 5K at the end of my July triathlon. My best 5K times were right around 31 minutes, so I knew I was getting close. Physically, I was totally capable of doing it. I was pretty sure it was the mental part that was getting in my way. Isn't it always?

So in my attempts to not totally fall of the wagon with my training, I decided to do a 5K when I was in Buffalo. Originally, I was going to do one that benefited the Ronald McDonald House, but other plans conflicted and, as luck would have it, it turned out to be a good thing because it was pouring rain that day.

I figured my Buffalo 5K was not to be, but luckily, I ran into Beth, a friend of my mom's, at my future sister-in-law's bridal shower. She was doing the finish line for a 5K that benefited a local high school, so the race was back on.

My mom recruited her friend, Brigid, to do the race as well. And, thankfully, Brigid offered to let me leave Daniela with her babysitter. Taking 3 small children to a 5k does not a warm and fuzzy memory make, so no one had to twist anyone's arm to agree to that.

We arrived at Brigid's house with the kids and Mateo & Nico immediately ran into the house and started playing with all of Brigid's kids' toys. Mateo found her son, Will, and declared that he would not be coming to my race but "staying with this kid". So, we left Mateo behind and Brigid, my mom, Nico, and I got in the car. As we drove away, I saw Mateo and Will cruising around the driveway in a mini jeep, Will in the driver's seat and Mateo riding shotgun with his arm around Will's shoulder. Very funny.

Surprisingly, my dad had also decided to do the 5K. He is a former triathlete who used to be a very fast runner. However, he's had many injuries and surgeries, his most recent being a hip resurfacing less than a year ago, so he has been sidelined from racing for a while. But, he's been feeling better and decided to give the race a go.

So Brigid, myself, and my dad lined up at the starting line. The horn went off and we started running with the crowd. Brigid sped right ahead, but my dad held back. I figured I should probably stay with him. There are plenty of 5Ks out there to run, no reason I had to have a PR on this one. So I hung back with him, but after a couple minutes he said, "You know, you're allowed to beat me. Why don't you go catch Brigid?"

So I did. And I was actually passing people, believe it or not.

I came to the one mile mark and a guy was standing there with a stopwatch yelling out times. "9:17". Hey, that's kinda fast. I might have a shot at getting under 30 minutes. So kept pushing myself wondering if I could, in fact, catch up with Brigid.

As I approached the turn around, I saw Brigid running towards the finish. I wasn't that far behind. So I kept going. I past by the guy with the stopwatch again, which was the 2 mile mark on the way back, and I heard him call out 18 something. Ok. This is going to happen. Unless I slow down a lot, as in start walking, I'm going to finish this thing under 30. So I pushed myself ahead, but I was wanting to stop. I glanced at my HR monitor and it was in the 190s. But I had less than a mile to go.

Don't stop. Don't walk. Just keep running. At this point, I distratced myself by finding people to pass. People just a little ahead of me that I could probably reach if I just didn't stop. Stopping now would mean not breaking 30, and that wasn't going to happen.

I was getting close to the finish, but it seemed further away then I remembered. The last half mile was killing me. Some off those people I past started passing me. I knew my pace was slowing down, but if I pushed harder I knew I wasn't going to make it. I'd have to walk.

Finally, I reached the 3 mile mark. I could see the timer at the finish line and could make out that the first digit was a 2. Go faster! As the timer came into full view, I could see the next digit was a 9. Hurry!

As I ran across the finish line, I saw the time 29:41. I saw Nico jumping up and down. And I could hear him yelling, "Mommy! It's my mommy!" Even though I'm pushing myself during a race, I still find it surprising how physically worked up I am when I finally stop. As I was still trying to catch my breath, Nico leapt into my arms, and I almost fell over.

"Mommy, you fast. Mommy I see peoples racing. Racing fast. Fast like this" And with that comment, he jumped out of my arms and started sprinting away from me. And so began my next race. Despite being so winded, I was able to catch up to him fairly quickly, but of course, he insisted that I carry him after that. So getting my heart rate down was no easy task.

We caught up with Brigid who had come in ahead of me and also had a 5K PR. We saw my father cross the finish line. Nico was very excited to see grandpa running and immediately wanted to jump on him too, but I walked around with him to distract him and give my dad a minute.

All in all, a good race for everyone, including Nico who now likes to play "racing". Which I think is just code for running away from me.

1 comment: