Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Priorities

Conversation with third graders about homework
"Mrs. Bisbal, what if you like don't have time to do you're homework?" asks one of my more challenging students.
"Well then you should talk to me about it. Every once in a while an emergency situations happen. You just need to let me know." I answer half distracted as I turn on the overhead projector to start reviewing the daily problems.
"No. I mean like everyday." he persists, "What if you like don't have time to do your homework everyday?"
I glance at the clock. We've got to get started. I quickly remind some students to move along and get ready to review the daily problems.
"Hmmm...sounds like you have too many things going on. Maybe we should call your mom and tell her you need to stop playing football after school." I finally answer figuring that might stop this unproductive conversation.
"No, no, no...I'm not talking about me." he quickly answers defensively, "I just mean what IF someone never had time to do their homework."
Ah, yes. Another great philosophical conversation.
"Well, I guess that person wouldn't learn as much." I suggest. I should just leave it at that. We've got to get moving with the lesson. But I can't. I have to add, "Boys and girls, homework and school work needs to be your top priority."
"What's a top priority?" asks another student. Ugh. I opened that can of worms, didn't I? Now this is a full blown conversation. So much for staying on schedule.
"If something is a top priority, it is your most important thing. Getting your work done needs to be your most important thing." I say.
"Yeah. That's the whole reason we're in school. To learn." adds one of my more dilligent students.
"No. Mrs. Bisbal. Your family should be your most important thing." immediately chimes in another boy.
"That's true. Family is important." Can't argue with that, I guess.
"No, Mrs. Bisbal, the most important thing is God." says another boy with a very grave look on his face, "God needs to be your priority." Oh, man. Did we really have to pull the Jesus card? Ok, enough. We need to get started.
"Thank you for sharing that opinion. That may be true for some people." I take a sip of my coffee and continue, "Boys and girls, your family and God and everyone else on Earth and in heaven wants you to make doing well in school your priority. Can we all argee it is important, and we need to find time for it?"
"Yes"
Finally we start the daily problems. We read the first one aloud and a hand immediately shoots up. Good. Time to get rolling.
"Mrs. Bisbal? You forgot to do the burrito count." Ah, priorities...

No comments:

Post a Comment